Monday, June 11, 2007

generation whY?

It has come to my attention recently that I may be classified as a member of Gen Y. I might also be a member of Gen X. Apparently being born in 1980 puts me with one foot in X and one foot in Y. While I remember the Challenger explosion (I was 5, and shuttle launches were sufficiently exciting to be watched on television at school), a defining moment according to wikipedia (if it's on wikipedia it must be right!), I probably don't have much in common with those born in the 1960's. Luckily I miss being a Millenial by 2 years by graduating from highschool in 1998. Luckily, because the word Millenial is annoying and kind of sticky. Luckily, because even though I went to school with people that graduated from highschool after 1999 there's a sense of difference that a change in the century made. Maybe it was their denial about when the new century actually started...who knows, hey they got the nice round number and the lack of leap year. Whatever it is, I'm glad I'm not one. But, I also don't feel like a founding member of Gen Y. I suppose my identity issues stem from my two brothers, who are rightful members of Gen X. This is who I am, the younger sister of Gen X. And I'm okay with that.

No comments: