Monday, March 19, 2007

Would you believe in a love at first sight?

Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time.
For Christmas this year I received Rolling Stone: The 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time. As Steven Van Zandt says in the introduction, "[lists] are absolutely subjective, utterly frustrating, always incomplete - and they cause more arguments than religion and politics." I won't argue with number one though, which is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I love the Beatles, always have, always will. I've never been able to decide whether I like Sgt. Pepper's or Revolver better though, but since Revolver is number 3, I'll get to that later. And since the list is greatest albums, Sgt. Pepper's should beat Revolver in my mind. The songs on Sgt. Pepper's are all great stand alone songs (you know, except for those first two tracks that run together), but as an album the individual songs become better. Anyhow, so much has been said and written about the Beatles and this album that I can't possibly hope to add anything new to the discourse, except maybe this: If the album cover were being made today it probably would have been photoshopped together, instead of setting up a 3-D collage with The Beatles standing in the middle and then photographing it. It would have been less interesting as a result.

No comments: