Monday, March 12, 2007

What's your google number?

Every once in a while I google search my name to see what's out there about me or other people with the same name. If I put my first and last name in quotes I get 824 hits. A link about the me that is me doesn't appear until the third page. Some of the other Anne's, of which two appear most frequently, are a physician, a canadian author, a writer for a parenting magazine, a reverend, and a spiritual weight-loss coach. I've never met anyone with the same name as me, and very infrequently have met people named Anne, so it is somewhat startling to see all the information out there about people with what feels like my name attached. Especially since I don't appear until the third page (One might call this a google-plex). However, if I add my middle initial to the search my google number drops to 54, and I'm the very first link--hey I can use the 'I'm feeling lucky' button. Google-plex solved.

So what's your google number?

2 comments:

Samer said...

Anne,

I'll admit, this wont be the first time I've done this (self googling), but right now I get 21 hits for my name in quotes.

Of course they are all me because my first name is pretty uncommon so the combo is extremely uncommon. What I find interesting, and frightening is how much information one can get from that search. The very first hit shows my current place of employment. Most of the others are more of the boring gas turbine type stuff.

J. Bowman said...

I guess it all depends on which version of my name I look for.
If I search for the name that's on my mail, I'm in the middle of page three, after a lot of stuff about an actor who shares my name.
If I search for the name my friends call me, I'm mentioned in an MIT sports column eight entries in. A column I wrote is the ninth entry.
If I search on my full name, I get geneaology reports about my great-grandfather, though I assume I'm on those pages as well.
If I search on my published name (in quotes), all six entries are me.