Wednesday, March 21, 2007

We all know most marriages depend on a firm grasp of football trivia. -Diner (1982)

I mentioned previously that my 1001 Movie watching project was partly motivated by my desire to win Trivial Pursuit: Silver Screen Edition; I was only partly joking. The categories and corresponding colors for the wedges in this edition are as follows: Blue=Settings, Yellow=Off Screen, Green=Production, Pink=Titles, Brown=Off Screen, and Orange=Portrayals. Instead of just listing the movies that I've seen from the list, I think it will be more fun to post some of the trivia questions relating to the movies. I'll probably do five movies at a time until I catch up with myself. Here are the first five:

Settings:
Q: Where was Sonny Corleone ambushed in 1972's The Godfather?

Titles:
Q: What film offered the gruesome line: "The torso has been severed in mid thorax. There are no major organs remaining."?

On Screen:
Q: What was Popeye Doyle disguised as in the opening scene of The French Connection?

Production:
Q: Who produced All The President's Men?

Portrayals:
Q: Who played Hawkeye Pierce in M*A*S*H?

I read that this is considered the most difficult edition of Trivial Pursuit ever made. Anyhow, I'll post answers in a day or so.


ETA: Answers now posted in the comments

5 comments:

J. Bowman said...

I knew 1 and 5. I should have guessed 2, I don't know who would know 4, and as for 3... I should probably watch The French Connection again.

anne57 said...

I guess I should start numbering these...

Before looking at the answers I knew 1, 2, 4, and 5. 3 I remembered when I read the answer. I know 4 because All The President's Men is tied for my favorite movie of all time starring one of my favorite actors-who also happens to be the producer, so I've probably seen it fifty times. Although the Trivial Pursuit card only gives one name and three are credited as actual producers. Their answer is the best known of the names, who I think was the executive producer.

J. Bowman said...

okay, so that was who I had actually guessed for the producer, but imdb doesn't list him; maybe they don't list executive producer credits.
Unless I'm way off, and Walter Coblenz is your favorite actor.

anne57 said...

Nope, but I won't forget the actual producer's name now (Coblenz = anglicized Koblenz, a lovely city in Germany on the Rhine), one of the odder mnemonic associations I've had. I did see that imdb doesn't list him-he probably doesn't get screen credit-but I'm pretty sure they are accurate since I saw an interview with Dustin Hoffman saying something along the lines of that he agreed to do the film because Redford was producing it.

anne57 said...

Here are the answers, incomplete as they may be:

1. A tollbooth
2. Jaws
3. Santa Claus
4. Robert Redford (and Walter Coblenz, but they didn't list him)
5. Donald Sutherland