Tuesday, April 3, 2007

When books and travel collide

Recently The Washington Post travel section had two articles on book related travel. The first is about the Library Hotel in Manhattan, a hotel with books in every room and room numbers based on the Dewey Decimal System. The second, is about bed and breakfast's with books in the rooms spread across the states. I like to travel, and I like to read, but I'm not sure I've reached the point where I want to go somewhere just to read. The Library Hotel seems like it would be fun to stay in, just to see what books were put in the particular subject of your room, but I doubt that I would actually read a book from the room while I was there. I'm a somewhat compulsive reader, and once I start a book I want to finish it. Plus, if I go somewhere, I usually want to see the place- not that I don't read on vacation- but I'm probably going to bring my own reading material. I like that there is this option though. Finally, the spring book preview. I don't read too many books as soon as they come out, but of this list I'll probably eventually read (like in 3 years...) Generation Loss, by Elizabeth Hand and Nixon and Kissinger: Partners in Power, by Robert Dallek. Note, a login id is required for washingtonpost.com, but it's free and no one is stopping you from making up an identity just for them.

No comments: