Saturday, August 4, 2007

Hey, wasn't I just there...?

I saw The Bourne Ultimatum tonight, which was a great, great end(?) to the trilogy. I saw the second installment in the trilogy (The Bourne Supremacy) in the week between my summer living in Germany and returning to graduate school. As you may recall, much of the film took place in Berlin. I had spent several days in Berlin while in Germany and it was pretty awesome to recognize so many of the locations on the big screen. A true 'Hey, wasn't I just there' moment. The same held true for parts of the third film tonight. Without giving away any major plot points, parts of the film take place in Tangier, Morocco and on a ferry going over from Spain. Once again I thought, 'Hey, wasn't I just there'?

This is one of the few action series where I hope they make another one, but only if they can get Matt Damon to play the lead. People probably felt the same way when Bond switched from Connery to Lazenby (I blame the ruffled shirts for the how bad the film is) and then from Connery to Moore, but Bond seems to me to be more about the position than the person (007 number, high-tech gadgets, and hot women). Bourne rarely uses technology outside of what he comes across, gets by on hand to hand contact and evasive speed, and doesn't have a woman in every...location. So I'm not sure that the series can work if the actor is changed. We'll see what I happens I guess.

No comments: